RE: filmscanners: Kodachrome ICE

>I was surprised by Jack Phipp's comments that Digital ICE does not work
with Kodachrome.

Oops again. That was not the message I was trying to convey.

This is from Nikon's manual:

"Digital ICE does not perform equally well with all types of film. If you
are using Kodachrome film, you may find that Digital ICE does not have the
desired effect, or that there is an overall degradation in image quality
when Digital ICE is in effect. We recommend you turn Digital ICE off when
using black-and-white (color monochrome film excepted) or Kodachrome film."

I regret I didn't make myself clear. I think Nikon's manual goes too far.
Applied Science Fiction prefers to understate the effectiveness of Digital
ICE. However, it does work with Kodachrome, usually quite effectively. It is
important to understand the "usually" though, that was the point I was
trying to make. Sometimes when there is an area of fine detail in a dark
part of SOME Kodachrome images, some scanners won't bring out the detail as
well using Digital ICE compared to not using Digital ICE. You must weigh the
benefits of the defect removal to some loss of detail IN SOME CASES. That is
why I recommend you try your images and compare the results.

Another choice is scan the image twice, once with, once without Digital ICE
and use the history brush to "paint in" the detail in areas where it is
missing. Of course you will be "painting in" defects as well, so those are
the choices you will have to make.

The newest Nikon scanners have a Kodachrome setting used correcting color
problems. It is my experience that Digital ICE does not affect color.

It is important to note that Digital ROC and Digital GEM are not affected by
the Kodachrome limitation discussed above.

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction