filmscanners: Splotchy?

 I have a wonderful image scanned on my brain-dead Nikon 3510AF, where the
shadow areas are all blotchy with redish spots.  The print is a section of an
available light shot on 800 negative material (I think Agfa, it's Mystic Photo's
house brand 800.)  If memory serves, in color negs, underexposed areas tend to
show larger grain.   But this is obnoxious.

Question is, what can I do about it?  I've tried blur in Photoshop, but it's not
satisfactory.

Meanwhile, there was a strange thing happening in the blue areas of the image
and others on that roll, that looked like little flakes of blue die had leached
from the emulsion.  Easy to spot out, but I've never seen this before.  Bad
film? Bad processing?

Maybe I'll go back to Kodak 1000 for this kind of work.  Love that material.

Any suggestions?
Rich

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.