Re: filmscanners: LS4000 and sharpness

Ed writes ...

> In a message dated 4/28/2001 6:39:14 AM EST, harper@wordweb.com
writes:

> > This raises an interesting question.  Is there any way to set the
focus
> >  location in vuescan?
>
> It focuses in the center of the scan region.  I'll look into this
some more
> when I get a loaner LS-4000 from Nikon, hopefully in the next week
or so.

    It would seem a user could "crop" a small rectangle and ask for a
"manual" focus ... then crop preferentially and scan with "automatic"
focus disabled(?)  I've never been able to verify if this works ...
even while my LS-2000 goes through the motions, the "manual focus"
number doesn't update.

    This is one of the few features I like about Nikonscan ... an
ability to zoom in, ask for a preview, ask for a focus, and ask again
for a preview.  You get to realize visual and numeric feedback, and
the preview scans take only seconds.  The visual feedback and previews
aren't all that necessary ... you simply learn to trust the focusing,
and I expect it would add considerable programming.  The numeric
feedback IS very useful, allowing you to realize differences from one
area of the film and another, and therefore to average the numbers (or
pick a preference) and enter the number in the "manual focus" dialog
box.

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.