From: Rob Geraghty [mailto:harper@wordweb.com]
Sent: venerdì 27 aprile 2001 00.23
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Negatives vs. slides in new scanners

Alessandro wrote:
> After reading a long thread on photo.net, which finally stated
> that, due to Dmax values, low-end scanners work best with
> negatives and hi-end with slides, I made my own little test
> with my LS-30 by shooting the same (a bit contrasty) scene
> with Kodak Supra 100 and Fuji Provia F 100, and can confirm
> that the scan from the negative is FAR better

With a contrasty scene there will always be more detail in a neg
than a slide.  There is always (AFAIK) more exposure latitude in
neg film than slide film.

However, I am surprised that you consider Supra 100 "far better"
than Provia 100F.  My conclusion is exactly the reverse using
the same scanner for *well exposed* images.  Basing your
conclusion on a high contrast image isn't IMO reasonable,
but it depends on what you're expecting to achieve.

> Back to the question: is the (theoretical) 4.0 Dmax enough to
> have scans from slides at least as good as those from negatives?

I'd be interested to hear the responses from others with more
expensive scanners but as far as I can make out, the answer
is no - simply because the information isn't on the film.

<snip>

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.