filmscanners: Negatives vs. slides in new scanners

Hi all,
since a few (lucky) members already got their hands on the new Nikon 4000ED,
which claims, I think, a Dmax of 4.0, I would like to know if they have
tested its behavior in scanning slides vs. color negatives. After reading a
long thread on photo.net, which finally stated that, due to Dmax values,
low-end scanners work best with negatives and hi-end with slides, I made my
own little test with my LS-30 by shooting the same (a bit contrasty) scene
with Kodak Supra 100 and Fuji Provia F 100, and can confirm that the scan
from the negative is FAR better (I own no drum scanners so can't test the
other way :-).
Back to the question: is the (theoretical) 4.0 Dmax enough to have scans
from slides at least as good as those from negatives?

Thanks all in advance,
Alessandro Pardi

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.