re: filmscanners: Acer Scanwit 2720s vs 2740s vs HP s20

This is a "Me Too" response, but Alan's right. I've been on the Scanwit
2720S for just about a year, as well. I don't have anything to actually
compare it with except my HP 6300C flatbed, which doesn't do film well at
all, even at 1200dpi, if there's any sort of problem with the exposure.
Scanwit is not terribly good at exposure correction, either, if we get right
down to it.

Scanwit comes bundled with Photoshop-LE (Limited Edition), which is
certainly an "adequate" program. For an additional $499(US) you can get the
full version, which will run you a bit more than the scanner itself, and
probably is not necessary unless you're doing critical professionl work--in
which case, you should be prepared to spend a lot more than you would on a
Scanwit of any flavor.

Is ICE worth the extra time and money? I'm not privey to the program, nor to
GEM or ROC, so I can't answer. Can I clean a slide in 5 minutes? Sometimes,
if it's clean and isn't a disaster. But since I'm doing archiving of old
slides, I get a *lot* of "disasters."  So I should answer, "Good Luck!"

Is Acer Scanwit good? With little to compare it to except the views of
others, I'd say, "Yes, it's good, for what it is and what it costs." Beyond
that, you'll have to judge for yourself. I have *heard* that the 2740S  with
IR capability has a few problems, and in my experience Acer's support is
largely limited to replacing your machine--which isn't altogether bad, for
that matter. They're sincere, and their problems don't seem any worse than
the "Big Kid's" problems, although the others sound easier to use,
sometimes.

That's my 2-cent's worth.

Best regards--LRA