Re: filmscanners: ss4000 repair bill

I would object most vigorously to this repair bill.

It sounds like design flaws and defective parts.

A load motor sensor has no moving parts, I would gather, and should not
have failed, period.  The cleaning brush, which I assume is internal,
should not have required "readjusting" and of course a cleaning brush if
there to begin with, is a recognition that it will gather dirt and will
require occasional cleaning, so it seems it should be a user accessible
part, if this is the case.

Calibration is probably done on every unit that comes in, and again,
shouldn't drift enough to need to be done unless there are design
issues. And what the heck is "preventive maintenance"... this sound to
me like "we fixed some other design flaws while we had it here, so it is
less likely to be back again."

How old is the unit?  Was it mistreated by you, or left in an unusually
dusty environment?  How many frames have been through it?

Lastly, this estimating fee of 30% of the repair value in an outrage.
Nikon charges $50 on cameras, which are more sophisticated and harder to
take apart.  Many companies charge nothing.  My brother was in the
service industry for a dozen years in hi-tech and he charged nothing,
and finally $5, since it is true you have to fix the unit to estimate
the problem properly and it can be abused (he also was the only company
in his field giving a one year warranty on repairs).  They are basically
saying, everything we did to fix this is irreversable, maybe with the
exception of the replacement of the sensor. I mean are they going to
mis-align the brush and make it dirty again before returning it to you?

If I were you:

1: Speak to David Hemmingway about this, now!

2: If that doesn't resolve to a reasonable conclusion, I'd protest
loudly to Polaroid

3: I'd find out the cost of the sensor, probably a generic part costing
$5.. if Polaroid won't supply one, check out Microtek, who makes the
thing and sells their own version. It might even be a generic part
available at Radio Shack too.

4: If they don't provide the repair for free, or nearly so, if your
handy, I'd refuse the estimate, pay the $125 under extreme protest and
I'd order the sensor and install it myself.

5: Post a warning on all lists and usenet sites about this practice of
Polaroid's

Polaroid seems to have a multiple personality disorder.  They can be the
most reasonable, helpful, top notch company to deal with some days, and
then other times, it seems, their business ethics go into a real slump.
  Having experienced only the positive side of this personality, I find
it really painful to hear of these type of experiences.  But obviously,
they do occur.

Art

Bill Ross wrote:

> My ss4000 was giving me perpetual-motion back/forth motor
> action on initialization, and after pushing a slide carrier
> through slowly a few times with the unit turned off, it
> switched to continuous eject action. Then I got the
> sensor brush & tried that - no effect. So I shipped the
> unit to Polaroid, & just got the estimate, $400 for:
> "Repairs needed: Load motor sensor, cleaning brush,
> cleaned, aligned, calibrate and preventative maintenance
> performed." Cost of estimate if I choose to skip the
> repairs is $125.
>
> Given that others are seeing this initialization problem
> due to sensor failure, I'm suspecting that the root cause
> is a bad batch of sensors. I wonder how much those sensors
> really cost..
>
> Bill Ross

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.