Re: filmscanners: Blue noise - suggestions for removal?

I'm not totally sure what I'm seeing is the result of Tungsten balanced
film with daylight.  It almost looks like a chromatic fringing caused by
off registration or lens abnormality (either the camera lens or the
scanner lens.)  But, even assuming it is, the best I can come up with is
to neutralize those shadows to grays.

I would do this in Photoshop using Image > Adjust> select colors, and
first play with the blues, lowering the cyan and magenta right down, and
increasing the black channel until the shadows were neutral.  I would
then go to the grays and lower the cyan a bit and then the magenta very
slightly, and again increase the black channel a bit.  It might also
require a bit of adjusting of the yellow channel in both these
adjustments to not have it get too warm.

Just out of interest, in what program did you create this JPEG file.  I
can't get it as small as you did in Photoshop, even at considerably
lower quality.

Art

Rob Geraghty wrote:

 > My apologies in advance to digest readers for the attached image.
I've cut
 > it down to 6K to minimise the uuencoded text.
 > The attached photo is the result of a really icky combination of film and
 > light.  The film is Kodak 320T tungsten balanced slide film, and I've
taken
 > the photo by flash - which is of course daylight balanced...  The
result is
 > the ugly blue shadows.  I've managed to remove most of the colour
imbalance
 > from the original slide, but does anyone have any suggestions for
removing
 > the blue fringing?
 >
 > Scanned on a Nikon LS30 using Vuescan 7.0.10 with a 4X multipass.
 >
 > Yes I know it's grainy but on this occasion I'm not worried about the
grain.
 > :)  It's 320 speed slide film after all.
 >
 > Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.