Re: filmscanners: negative and skin tones

Maris and Mikael

These CMYK values for facial skin tones are very useful.

I have been struggling with some of my first scans trying to get the
skin tones to look right. Of course, in these photographs there aren't
even any good areas of black or white to help set those points.

By adjusting the color to give me roughly the values you have both
mentioned, then further adjusting from there, my scans look
*substantially* better. Not surprisingly, all the colors look much more
normal. I know this is in a way a backward approach to color adjustment,
but with these scans the skin tones are what matter to me.

Thanks for the shortcut to at least get me to some baseline.

--
Jim

"Maris V. Lidaka, Sr." wrote:

> VueScan is very interesting and useful to the subscribers on this group, and
> the program is somewhat opaque resulting in the many discussions of what
> appear to be insignificant details and changes in the different versions.  I
> would venture to say that Vuescan is the primary scanning program used
> though I have no statistics on which to base that.
>
> Concerning the CMYK values for skintones, your guidelines appear to be more
> or less correct.  I have found Dan Margulis's guidelines to be a bit better
> and empirically more accurate.  He maintains that, for Caucasians, cyan
> should be about 1/5 to 1/3 of magenta (Professional Photoshop 5) rather than
> 1/2 as you suggest.
>
> Another problem that comes to mind is that scanners export the image in RGB
> and desktop printers (without exceptions that I am aware of) require RGB
> input, performing the RGB-CMYK conversion internally.  As there is loss in
> color in the RGB-CMYK conversion and the subsequent CMYK-RGB re-conversion
> many try to avoid having to color-correct in CMYK despite the benefits of
> the black channel.
>
> Maris

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.