filmscanners: Grain aliasing (was:Printing A3 from a 2700dpi scan

I've read (but haven't had a need to try it so far) that grain in sky areas
can be corrected/retouched using the blue chanel as a mask. I'd be
interested in hearing from those who've used that technique.

Best regards--LRA

>>I think there may be an issue here with what is "apparent grain" and what
>>is "real grain" and what is "grain aliasing".  In any case, I have yet to
>>find a neg film which *doesn't* show unacceptable amounts of "grain" in
>>things like blue sky, while pretty much *every* slide film gives
reasonable
>>results.

>I think what you may have here derives in part from the sky and other
nominally bright parts of images on negatives being the darkest -- most
dense -- in the film.  So sky in negs can be more difficult and show grain
and/or noise much like dark shadow areas of slides are the difficult parts
to scan and image.