Re: filmscanners: Printing A3 from a 2700dpi scan

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:13:43 +1000  Rob Geraghty (harper@wordweb.com) wrote:

> I think I just have to accept the limitations of neg film, in that the
greater
> exposure latitude is at the cost of much more grain.

But it isn't! I am 100% certain that what you are seeing as grain, especially
from ISO100 colneg materials, is grain aliasing. A Polaroid 4000 shows no
significant grain from these materials, just exceptional sharpness and tonal
smoothness, and you have to use ISO200 before grain becomes recordable as
grain. Even then, Fuji Superia 400 is only very slightly more 'grainy' than
TMax400CN chromagenic B&W - a 12x8" print from S400 shows very slight grain,
whereas S100 shows virtually none.

Fuji 800 has about as much grain (enlarger, or scanner without aliasing) as
TriX in D76 one-shot. Much less than Delta Pro 3200 or TMZ (P3200).

Fast slide film is ghastly stuff in comparison.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons