Re: filmscanners: LS-40 Available at B&H

Enoch's Vision, Inc. (Cary Enoch R...) wrote:

> At 14:14 24-03-01 -0500, Marc S. Fogel wrote:
>
>> B&H Photo has the LS-40 in stock.
>

> I'm waiting for a bunch of reports on this list stating that the Nikon
> mechanism is mechanically sound, free of jaggies, etc. Only then will I
> buy one. I was an early adapter of the LS-1000 which ended up as a
> door-stop. I'll not make that mistake again.

This is an expensive, but valuable lesson.  Early adapters often pay
more for more headaches and less functionality.  I would not let Nikon
get away with this if I were you.  I'd ask for a discounted upgrade
path, at least, if not a full refund.

Manufacturers must begin to take more responsibility for producing
sub-standard products.  Most places have "sale of goods" acts which
requires either the manufacturer, or the retailer, as a representative
to the manufacturer, to fulfill advertising claims and to provide a
product that properly fulfills it stated function.

If we each were a bit more like consumer advocate "Ralph Nader" about
these issues, companies producing sub-standard product would either fix
them or go out of business.  When there can be millions of dollars (or
pounds) involved, as is the case when many thousands of people are
cheated on an expensive device, a couple of class action lawsuits
usually straightens out these companies pretty quick.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.