Re: filmscanners: Repro house skirmishing (long)

>... many repro houses involved in UK magazine production are
>determined to hang on to scanning, and the standard contract now bundles
>scanning with everything else for a fixed cost.
>
>It has other advantages for them too: they don't need to invest or train to
>cope with photographer-supplied scans. They can just stick their heads in the
>sand and lock me (us) out of a very useful *photographic* technique.

Can you find a lab to have a tranny written from your digital file?

>So the next question is : where can I get really good R-type or similar
>prints made from digital files, in London, often overnight? I'm not happy
>with my own Epson 1200 output (good though it is, there are spectral
>anomalies, and I don't know if the dither pattern will interact badly with
>a fine halftone dot screen).

I've provided PR folks with Epson 1200 prints that they have found to work well
enough.  These are more for press and theatre programs, brochures, and flyers
-- not that I know used in magazine work.  I have read good things from at
least one US photog on the Epson 2000P.  Is there one you can access for a try
out?

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/