filmscanners: CoolScan 4000ED

I have during this last week done some tests regarding the Nikon
CoolScan 4000 ED. and software NikonScan 3.0  beta and alfa.

Resolution test : Leitz test slide. Outstanding resolution, visible
grain in the test slide.
I have never seen this before. I have done the same test with Polaroid
35, 35+  Polaroid 4000 and  Nikon LS2000.

Colors: Pure clean neutral colors. (red colors are not so reddish
anymore ).
I have also compared Nikon LS2000 and ED4000 driven by same NikonScan
3.0 alfa. LS2000 shows a little more green test slide.
I have also done  a test scan 4000 ppi   and LS2000 at 2700ppi
interpolerad to 4000 ppi. by Photoshop. For the first time a big visible
difference shows . ED4000 brings out a  lot more information from the
test slide.

Handling and size: Like LS2000 but bigger. Same film holder and film
adapter.

Density: Shadows and high lights are better then LS 2000 3.6 density.
Free from noise

NikonScan 3.0 alfa
Scan bit depth 8 or 14 bit
Multi sample scanning 1.2.4.8.16 times
Slow software  (not ready yet) It takes 8 minutes to scan 56Mgb in 8
bit . (The scanner behaves like LS 2000 at 12 bit and all filters on. )
The palettes are big and take lot of space.
Some problem with the plugin to Photoshop.
Memory problem with Mac version.

No problem with firewire and firewire card

I think ED4000 ,  ED 8000 will be my last scanners .

Next step  will be digital - Kodak DCS Pro Back   and Nikon  D1x will
show us the future

--

Photograph
Mikael Risedal