filmscanners: To clean/wash old negatives on glass ?

Dears, after many months of 0 activity on digital photography ... I have
started again and hence here I am to bother you all ... I beg your pardon,
but I need your valuable help and advices.

I have found some negatives (B/W) on glass 4'x6' (inches) and I am trying to
scan them using a flatbed HP 6200 and Vuescan 7.0 .
The very first problem I have found is that the negatives are particularly
DIRTY , spots, shadows of liquids (humidity condensed ? ) etc. ...
SO ! how do you suggest to clean/wash them ?

May I use some chemical products I have at home to clean/wash the windows ?
... alcool , and some other shining chemicals + soft paper ?
OR should I try to used distilled water only ?

I want to avoid to waste these old glasses .... they are family portraits
and I am sentimentally involved with this stuff.

My goal is to print them after having scanned and worked with PS.

Sincerely.

Ezio

www.lucenti.com  e-photography site

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.