RE: filmscanners: analog gain and negative film

Jules wrote:

> what i've started doing when i needed to turn it up or down, is scanning
the negative as a *positive* and then inversing it in photoshop.
> painful, because you can't preview the final accurately.  and i'm not sure
what other assumptions the scanner/software makes when i do that.
>all i know is it's worked for black and white film at least.

It works for color, too, Jules--at least on a Scanwit, and with Vuescan as
well the native driver. The "boost" is relatively small (there's no exposure
control at all on a Scanwit), but sometimes that's all you need.

It's more "painful" than b/w, of course, but the detail *is* perceptibly
better. I was amazed that once the negative image was inverted in Photoshop
and processed through Auto Levels, it was reasonable close to the mark--or
at least within correctable range. Not something I'd recommend for a regular
workflow, but it does work for some problems.

Best regards--LRA