filmscanners: Color management

>Just in case it hasn't been stated clearly, Win98SE, WinME and >Win2K  all
use the same colour management system.

This may have been addressed before, and if so I missed it or it didn't
quite register:

I've heard (but haven't seen it written definitively) that when Photoshop
installs, it sets up its own color management system. Does this new color
management:
o 1)take over or supplant Windows' color management?
o 2)take over color management in other programs (if any)?
o 3)affect peripherals, like printers or scanners?
o 4)reset the monitor?
o 5)affect other programs, e.g.Vuescan, when PS is not running?

Based on some unpleasant problems I had when I re-installed PS, I suspect
that it could either be "All of the above" or "None of the above." But it
sure jogged my thinking!

Best regards--LRA