Re: filmscanners: PS with dual CPUs, WAS: Re: Need feedback on VueScan

The essence of dual processors is that individual actions may take the
same time, but you can do more simultaneously.

The NT execution scenario is the thread, which is an independent flow of
control. With two processors you can run two threads simultaneously, it's
as simple as that.

If the operation you want to perform has been coded as just one thread,
then having two processors can't ever speed you up as there's nothing for
the second CPU to do in that context. Of course it can go off and do
someone else's thread so the overall operation of the system is smoother.

A particular operation like rendering will only go faster if the
application has been specifically coded to chop the process into a number
of lumps that can be calculated independently. Then you can start all
those lumps off at the same time in separate threads and NT or W2K will
handle the way those threads use multiple processors.

The Adobe multi-threading feels more like a hurried add-on, and I'm not
sure whether critical operations like applying a filter have been properly
multi-threaded. If they haven't then they won't speed up with W2K, but at
least you can have something else with less of a slow-down effect.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.