Re: filmscanners: PS with dual CPUs, WAS: Re: Need feedback on VueScan Idea

"Enoch's Vision, Inc. (Cary Enoch R...)" wrote:

> > "Quoton" <quoton@dial.kfu.com> wrote:
> > > down any more. However, Photoshop (5.5) is noticeably slower on Win2K than
> > Win98.
>
> That's highly abnormal and indicative that something is not right with your
>Win2K
> installation. It could be any of a number of things including a virus,
>excessive
> fragmentation, too little RAM or too many background programs, inefficient
>swapfile
> settings for either PS or the operating system itself, etc. Win2K is
>inherently faster
> than Win98 in everything.

It was a fresh installation with 512MB of SDRAM. I had nothing else running
other than
perhaps a window explorer screen. My scanner was scanning which probably made
one
processor busy. The 2nd CPU was then opening a couple of dozen image files (for
testing
the performance purpose). PS opened about half a dozen real fast then it slowed
down.
This did not happen under Win98 with only one processor and the scanner was
scanning
too. The scanner slowed down though.

I did observe that with dual processor PS did not run any faster on my machine.
I agree that something is not right. Well, the machine is a dual 550MHz Pent-III
with 512MB PC-100 memory. It is not a slow machine so I have not spent time to
figure out what's wrong yet. I just checked that PS Multi Processor Support
Extention
is shown on Help/About/Plug-In.

Quoton

> > > My guess is that PS is a 16 bit program optimized under 16 bit OS such as
> > Win98.
> > > But Win2K is a 32 bit OS.
> >
> > Odd.  I thought PS5.5 and later were optimised for dual processors out of
> > the box. :-7
> > Maybe there's a config setting somewhere?
>
> PS has been optimized for dual processors at least since v4.0 and possibly
>earlier.
> There's nothing to configure. PS Setup recognizes an SMP system and installs
>the
> Multiprocessor Support Extension automatically.
>
> Click Help/About Plug In. If it shows an entry for Multiprocessor Support
>then everything
> was setup okay. If not then the system itself was misconfigured and is using
>the wrong
> Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).
>
> Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
> http://www.enochsvision.com; http://www.bahaivision.com -- "Behind all these
> manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through all things. The
>function of art
> is to reveal this radiance through the created object." ~Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.