RE: filmscanners: Re: OT: Halftone vs dithering

> Doesn't look like this went through 6 hours ago, when it was more
> apropops.
> If it did and I'm resending it, please forgive.

I received it, and thought it was an excellent post, though I did not
entirely agree with the later part of it...probably no surprise ;-)

I asked a number of people I know in the industry what they consider
dithering, WRT digital printing (not computer graphics displays etc.).  I
got a common answer that dithering is two adjacent spots of different color
used to appear as another color when viewed at an appropriate viewing
distance.  I agree with that as a fair explanation WRT this topic.

Here's my question.  Given that definition, how do you 'dither' grayscale if
you only have black ink or white paper?  There are no two different
(operative word IMO) colors to 'dither'?

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.