RE: filmscanners: File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

> Impact printers, laser printers, ink jet printers ... any printer
> which needs to dither some sort of CYMk pattern for creating
> "apparent" colors have a DPI resolution specification which should be
> considered separate from the RGB resolution you ask them to print
> (PPI).

I understand your distinction, thanks.  It's probably a very important
distinction to understand, I guess I have always taken for granted.

Now, another question...why do you call it 'dither' instead of halftone?
Dither is different than halftone.  Here are the definitions I have for each
of those:

"Dithering is a process in which an application chooses two or more colors
from a palette, and then applies them to adjacent pixels to approximate
colors outside of the palette."

"Halftoning is the process of breaking down a continuous tone image into
solid spots of differing sizes to create the illusion of transitioning grays
or colors in a printed image."

> For example, many believe
> 240LPI is optimum for 720DPI Epson printers, and you'd teherefore ask
> the printer to print 240PPI.

Possibly 'mis' believe, but that's another topic ;-)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.