RE: filmscanners: File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

Austin writes ...

> Why do you believe dithering has anything to do with the
> distinction of ppi vs dpi?
> Impact printers were spec'd in dpi, as well as my laser
> printers....

        Impact printers, laser printers, ink jet printers ... any printer
which needs to dither some sort of CYMk pattern for creating
"apparent" colors have a DPI resolution specification which should be
considered separate from the RGB resolution you ask them to print
(PPI).  Usually this RGB resolution is referred to as lines-per-inch
(LPI), and takes into account the size of the pattern.  The optimum
LPI should be mentioned in the printer's users manual, but all too
often is left up to the user to determine.  For example, many believe
240LPI is optimum for 720DPI Epson printers, and you'd teherefore ask
the printer to print 240PPI.
        Only dye-sub printers, including the Fujix, mix CMY rather than
dither, and can print at PPI equal to their DPI spec, and have no LPI.

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.