Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000 ED or Polaroid Sprintscan 120 ??

> Mr Wilkinson PLEASE!
> Everyone likes to talk futures, it's fun and what's more it costs nothing,
> and what's even more, anyone can do it.
>
> Soothsaying has been with us always and always will be with us.
> Just remember...soothsayers never make money because they never guess right
> often enough, but they do spend an inordinate amount of time on the lecture
> circuit - in other words they become famous for saying a lot and producing
> very little if anything at all.

Mr. Corbett,

Thank you for diminishing my prior statements to so much hot air and
useless commentary.  How very "british" of you.  (See how easy it is to
summate a person with one simple comment?)

What some people refer to as "soothsayers" others call visionaries. A
good example of such a person is Arthur C. Clarke, (who perhaps escaped
to Sri Lanka to avoid just such ridicule??)  Besides being a genius, and
"soothsayer" (futurist), he also holds patents to some very valuable
property, some of which have made space flight possible.  Apparently, he
lives quite comfortably on the revenues and royalties off these and his
books.  Most of his patents, by the way were based upon ideas for
processes or products that did not exist (other than in his mind) at the
time he conceived of them.  In fact, apparently, he hold patents on a
number of things that still haven't been made.

> Anyone know of a digital magic wand being developed anywhere (:-)

Exactly. People stuck firmly in the "reality" of the time never know
what a magic wand looks like, and likely would step right over it, until
someone less "grounded" picks it up and calls it something you can
pronounce.  As someone whom I can't recall by name once said, "To know
the limits of what is possible, you must first try to do what is
currently impossible."

One thing I will agree with, when it comes to predicting anything much
beyond the immediate future, we are much more often wrong than right.
All that proves to me is that the logical chain of events is rarely
followed linearly, and that is usually due to break-throughs rarely
considered or conceived of at the time predictions are made.

Quite honestly, whether Apple systems or PCs became the standard in
industry doesn't change the fact that the whole desktop computer
development came from the ideas and concepts that Jobs and Wazniak put
together in that basement.  Historically, rarely is the one who
conceptualizes an idea the one who is remembered for it, nor the one who
greatly profits from it. Free thinkers often make terrible (or aren't
interested in being) business men (and for good reason).

I'm sure you've heard that British Telecom has been attempting to sue
all the major internet providers because they claim to own patents on
the "idea" of the wwweb.  It would seem the bigwigs there couldn't quite
figure out what to do with the patent which most assuredly one of their
employees came up with which, was described "a method a piece of
computer software mitigates navigation by a user through pages of data"
(US Patent #4873662) which they ended up doing nothing with. Thankfully,
Tim Berners-Lee, Marc Andreeson and others "discovered" this idea some
years later and developed what we now call the wwweb (I might add they
apparently didn't make any money on it because they never patented any
of it).  BT, however is still trying to claim ownership and has demanded
licensing fees from major ISPs.

Anyway, I've gone a long way from Kansas here.  All I'm saying is that
anyone who doesn't believe in magic wands will sooner or later be made a
fool of.

Art

> Richard Corbett - and this is the completion of my contribution on this
> topic within this thread so over and out.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.