Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000 ED or Polaroid Sprintscan 120 ??

Art is ,in my opinion ,spot on !
Drum scanners will have a limited life span,I use one .The  scans can be
amazingly good,although the tedious system of mounting in oil to get the
best and reduce dust etc makes me opt for my flatbed whenever I can.
Some of the better Drum scanners are simpler to use with the originals
held on the inside of the drum by centrifugal force and you can get a
lot of originals in as the drums are quit large.
Scanners like the Imacon are up there with the drums in terms of
resolution and if you examine how good the "consumer" scanners are now
you will see that they are on a charge,manufacturers are selling them
like Hi Fi ,one in every home .
That means lots of R and D going in to make them better and faster.
I doubt that the Drum manufacturers with their very narrow sales
potential will be putting in as much effort.
You also need to look at what the scans are used for,most go into
commercial brochures at maybe 8"x12" max ,  who needs "drum quality"
only to see it squandered on turning it into cmyk dots at maybe 300 to
the inch ?
Lots of pro photographers have low end scanners because the do the job
adequately, for now.

Michael Wilkinson. 106 Holyhead Road,Ketley, Telford.Shropshire TF 15 DJ
  michael@infocus-photography.co.uk      www.infocus-photography.co.uk
For Trannies and Negs from Digital Files