Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000 ED or Polaroid Sprintscan 120 ??

My last comment on this... Yes, I and almost every professional
photographer I know are "Lone Rangers" with cameras... That would
include almost all of the top shooters.. They may be doing enough volume
to afford a couple of assistants (that's how I started) but they still
have to deliver THEIR VISION and the "low cost" ($1,000 - 15,000)
filmscanner is one of the most important tools on the market for
ensuring that image gets created properly and on time.. it's really the
new equivalent of the enlarger... any pro shooters who do not master
this new technology do so at their own peril, unless they only plan to
sell silver based collector's prints ... The industry you refer to is
the printing/publishing industry and they will be going through their
own revolution as prices come down and quality goes up...  The danger in
your comments as to these "low end" scanners (Nikon, Minolta, Canon)
being for amateur fun is that the fellows from Polaroid, ASF, and the
other manufacturers  read comments like these and figure that they don't
need to bother giving us the truly professional tools we need... that's
why Ed Hamrick is beating the pants off Nikon's scanner software...
I remember when people spoke of "real" computers as being the ones that
needed their own climate controlled special rooms and we mortals had to
go through a bevy of computer priests to  call upon the digital gods...
that was before Apple and IBM came along with what we now know as the
Mac and The PC... Same thing will happen with scanning... it's only just
begun.

Mike M.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.