RE: filmscanners: Workflow questions

My recommendation for web output is close what is recommended below with a
few minor differences.

Since you're using Photoshop, I recommend saving as a PSD instead of TIF so
all your layers and selections will remain editable. In addition, which may
be from personal preferences, I recommend adding a text layer with
copyright information. In order to make the information editable, as I
specified, it should be saved as an active layer as a PSD. It should be
added after resizing. I also recommend sizing to 450 pixels long dimension
so the image only prints out as a 4x6 so as not to loose web site sales.
These are personal preferences, dictated by yours and your viewers monitor
resolution and what the intention of your web site is. Good web design
dictates using a 600 pixel width area either centered or on the left sides
of the page to reach the most viewers.

For more information about compression, I've created a web site that
compares 19 graphics programs and Photoshop plug-ins at:
http://ImageCompress.com.

Larry

>Here is what I do using Photoshop 6.0:
>1) Scan at full resolution as a tiff
>2) Crop and apply any color correction, if needed
>3) Touch up using the clone tool
>4) Apply any filters, i.e. Unsharp Mask
>5) Save this image as a tiff (to be burned on CD)
>6) Resize for the web (usually 600 height or 700 width, whichever is larger,
>in pixels)
>7) Save for the web in Image Ready

Larry Berman

Web Sites for Artists: http://BermanGraphics.com
Compare Image Compression from the top
Graphics Programs: http://ImageCompress.com
Explore the Art Show Jury process from a web site:
http://ArtShowJury.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.