Re: filmscanners: storage

I'm really not "complaining" about the Phillips recorder. I did get use out of
it. I
made a much bigger mistake previously- I bought a  2x HP unit back when
Recorders cost
$1000 (yes it had a Phillips core) and it trashed within 1 1/2 years. It had to
be
replaced twice under warranty. Lot's of coasters. I got no rebate then. My
second
recorder from Phillips cost about $360 I think, so at least I got something
back this
time. But after two underwhelming go's at a "Phillips made" recorder, I'm not
going to
repeat the mistake.

The problem that the second recorders were exihibiting was that as they
continued to be
used, their capacity decreased, i.e, suddenly they couldn't handle over 550 mb,
then
500mb, etc

 There are restrictions on my $200 rebate: 1) The coupon is only good towards
the
purchase of a Phillips, Magnavox, or Norelco product, 2) Even then it can only
be
applied towards 80% max of purchase price, 3) A maximum of two products can be
applied
towards the rebate.

This is better than a poke in the eye- I can buy a Phillips TV for $250 and get
$200
refunded. But I'm not a TV fan.

My point is that I didn't wish to repeat my mistake a third time. How can I
possibly
recomend buying a Phillips recorder again? Why not just get a Yamaha, or as
some have
had good exprience with it, a Plexor? Of course, no recorder will last forever.
suspect my Yamaha will pull longer for me though.

I heartily agree that the environment that the reorder is in wrt SCSI, length
of cables,
termination, matters a heck of a lot- even more than brand. No arguement there.
Also
different manufacturers recomend different brands of CD-R(W) over others.
Interestingly,
Yamaha shys away from recomending gold disks if you ask them, although I have
had no
trouble with Mitsui golds.

Anyone know what else Phillips makes besides TV's and CDR's that would be
reliable?
Maybe I should replace my stereo?<g>

--
Jim Hayes

Pixelography: The marriage of silicon and silver.
Images at http://www.jymis.com/~jimhayes

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.