filmscanners: Scanwit calibration

Hi, all--

I've just had an epiphany, of sorts, on the Acer Scanwit 2720S, which I've
been working with for about 10 months.

Some of you Scanwitters may have noticed that your scanner works great on
one batch of film, and then throws the next batch into a "cocked hat," if
you will. I don't understand why that happens, but I think I'm getting
closer. It appears to me that deep within the works of of the device there's
an attempt to auto-adjust to the work at hand--Pete Andrews (Photoscienta)
tipped me off to this little quirk several months ago, and I found it
usefull but hard to manage.

If I'm right about this, then it's a wonderful little piece of "business,"
and it keeps one sailing through scans as long as the film is from the same
or a similar batch and doesn't deviate too much from that particular
exposure or processing.

OTOH, when I try something different (e.g. scanning some thinner Instamatic
film from the same time and place), then go back to Kodacolor 35mm, the next
few scans wind up in that proverbial "cocked hat." The most curious thing is
that Vuescan--which is NOT Twain-based--is often thrown off, too.

I've been working for several days on getting better insight into this
phenomenon. One thing I've learned is that if I next make a really extreme
scan and correct it with the MiraPhoto driver, the subsequent scans will
reflect those corrections across the whole strip of film, whereas I've only
corrected one frame.

I'm trying (unsuccessfully, so far) to get some feedback from either Acer or
Mira on how and why this works. It seems to me like a tool that can be used,
but the handle is slippery and hard to find. Any input from other Scanwit
users along this line would be totally welcome.

Best regards--LRA