Re: filmscanners: Beginner's question on which scanner to chose

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:20:07 +0000  Armando A. Cottim (cottim@netcabo.pt)
wrote:

> First of all I was shown the Epson 1640 Photo (which is a flatbed and is
> said to scan 1600x3200dpi)
> I've seen slide scans from the 1240 Photo are they seem good although I
> could not see info on the final resolution of the scanned image.
> The price is very competitive but the info on the final resolution is
missing.
> And I need at least 300 dpi final resolution ot the scanned image.

Forget the Epson, or any other affordable flatbed, for scanning 35mm

> I found one Canon (which costs me 2x the price of the Epson) with a
> resolution that is said to be less than the Epson.
> And I found the Nikon LS2000 (which will cost 6x the Epson) with a
> resolution of 2700dpi .
> There is also another Nikon that is less expensive and (of course) has less
> features.

If you haven't already, please see the reviews at my site.

The latter is the Coolscan3/LS30. Prices have dropped on these and LS2000
recently as Nikon is introducing a new range. This should also mean lots of
secondhand scanners at good prices as people upgrade.

Other possibles:
Acer Scanwit 2720(cheapest filmscanner worth having)
Minolta Dimage Dualscan

And your question is perfectly welcome, this list is for all levels of
experience :-)

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &