filmscanners: The Acer ScanWit Story

Alright, gents and gals,

I promised to inform you of the progress in my warranty claim against Acer.
So here goes...

On previous episodes of The Acer ScanWit Story:
- 1) I found that my Acer ScanWit 2720S gave a blue cast on slides (Sensia
100) and magenta cast on negative film (Kodak 100-2).
- 2) I called up Acer to get a 48hour hotswap. This happened last Wednesday
(a little over a week ago).
- 3) Acer screwed up and gave me an incorrect return authorization number
which caused them to not ship the replacement scanner. They promised to
ship out the scanner on Monday. Furthermore, they would arrange a pick-up
of the defective scanner. This happened on Monday.

On Tuesday I called up Acer again to get the tracking information. After
spending the usual 15-20 minutes on hold, a person answered my call. It
turned out that the scanner had not yet shipped. But the customer service
rep. would make sure that it happened on the same day.

Wednesday morning my favorite Acer customer service rep. calls me (and
actually wakes me up... :-)) to inform me that the replacement scanner has
shipped out. They sent it FedEx overnight so I got it Wednesday at 2pm.

With unlimited excitement I hooked up the scanner and ran a few slides
through it. Only to find that the colors were only slightly better than
with my "old" scanner. Furthermore, one pixel in the CCD was bad. This
caused a magenta line on a white slide. It was obvious that this particular
CCD pixel couldn't sense the color green. I spent a significant amount of
time that day comparing the two scanners. There was a difference in color
rendering but it was not very significant (maybe a few LSBs). But it left
me with two options: 1) As I didn't want a scanner with a defective CCD I
could send the "new" one back and keep my "old" scanner. Or 2) I could go
through the trouble of getting another scanner shipped from Acer to replace
the "new", defective, scanner.

But today, before I had decided to call Acer, the FedEx dude shows up
again. With a third scanner!!! I live in a shared house, and have an
approx. 150 sq ft room. The entire floor of my room was covered in
packaging materials, scanners, manuals, and God knows what. I have some
cool pictures of all three scanners sitting atop each other on my computer.
But the good news is that the scanner that arrived today actually works!!
Colors are a bit better than the first scanner and the CCD chip works. I
called Acer, spent 20 minutes on hold, and agreed with the customer service
rep., who for some reason recognized my name :-)), to ship the two scanners
back to Acer. They will arrange a pick-up on Tuesday. Fortunately the last
scanner arrived in a box big enough to hold two scanners.

Conclusion: The CCD in the first scanner might have had a slight color
bias. But I think it was working alright. (All this for nothin'...) I think
I'm starting to realize how much photo labs can change color levels when
they print a photo. On well-exposed pictures the scanner delivers scans
that are pretty close to the print. But with certain exposures (like sunset
pictures) the prints are much better. I don't know exactly what causes
this. Either it's the scanners auto exposure algorithm or it's the lab guys
playing around with the settings on the printer. I cannot explain what
could cause a color and intensity shift on my Sensia slides. Acer's tech
support mentioned that some chemicals used in developing of the film could
cause effects like the ones I was experiencing. Maybe that's it... Because
the Provia 100F slides, I just got back from the lab (a different lab than
the one I used for Sensia), scans *very* close to the way I remember the
picture in real-life.

 From my experience this far, I conclude that Acer ScanWit is a really good
scanner for well exposed pictures. But be prepared to fiddle a bit in
photoshop before you get your "alternatively" exposed pictures just right.
Acer Tech. Support is really good. They answer their phone *very* fast and
seem pretty competent. Acer customer service, on the other hand, sucks!!!
They put you on hold for 15-20 minutes, screw up, and don't really seem
like they know what they are doing. But when they finally pull their shit
together you end up with a reasonable solution. A happy ending after all.

Now I just hope that Acer has told UPS to pick up the package on Tuesday.......

That's the Acer ScanWit story. Due to the large email flow, I think I will
sign off the list. Thanks for your help with diagnosing the problems and
for explanations of gamma and other things.

Take care,

        Tom

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.