Re: filmscanners: real value?

I don't know if it is worldwide, but I believe ALPS has abandoned their
dye sub product line, perhaps only supporting it with consumables.  They
weren't very popular in Canada, and I only saw one dealer who carried
them for a short time.  The main problems ALPS had were they took too
long to get the units out, they were a bit too costly and slow, they
couldn't resolve the banding problem with the ribbons, and they didn't
or couldn't license out the technology, so companies with more bucks
behind them, like HP, Canon, IBM (Lexmark) and Epson were able to create
a very strong market following.  Finally, inkjet printers have improved
their output so much that dye sub has been pretty much been left in the
dust, considering other aspects.  Dye sub is probably best for
self-contained units not requiring a computer, for smaller format
prints.  The Canon "Home Lab" is an example.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.