RE: filmscanners: Re: paperless office

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Sumtingwong wrote:

> I would have to do more research on this.  A well informed friend told me
> about it at work.  I do believe that it is now part of the U.S. Code,
> though.

I hate for my first post to this list to be off-topic, but it is indeed
federal law.  The law is Public Law 106-229, the Electronic Signatures in
Global and National Commerce Act.  It is part of the U.S. Code (not all
federal statutes are); specifically, 15 USC sections 7001-7006, 7021 and
7031.

> [mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Hersch Nitikman
>
> Interesting! Was it a Federal law? In what jurisdictions does it apply?

It is federal law, but it's an odd one in that it doesn't apply in all
jurisdictions.  It does not apply in states that have enacted the Uniform
Electronic Transactions Act, or certain other similar acts.  For example,
it doesn't apply in Californi, which has enacted the UETA as California
Civil Code 1633.1-1633.17. Basically, it's a gap-filler for those states
that have not enacted what Congress feels is an effective electonic
signatures statute.

--
Terry Carroll       | No representations, warranties or characterizations
Santa Clara, CA     | regarding any actual university, including any named

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.