Re: filmscanners: Encoding/compression Was:CD storage

I resurrected the following text from a message on Genuine Fractals that I
received about 2 or 3 months ago.  Sorry, but I forgot who on this list
originally sent it out.

"Genuine Fractals has no current place in web image preparation.  It's only use
is for upscaling data to print large images.  We went through this same
discussion on another forum (Nikon CoolPix 990) about three weeks ago and the
moderator e-mailed Altamira and this is their exact response:

Altamira has two software products, Genuine Fractals and PrintPro.  They both
have the same functionality...to enlarge an image without losing image quality.
Genuine Fractals is RGB, while PrintPro is RGB + CMYK.  This is a true scaling
algorithm.  The software encodes the image from raster (pixels) to vector
(mathematical equation) so that when you scale, you are truling scaling - this
is not interpolation.  Also, the encoding process compresses the image into a
smaller file size.  We have both lossless and lossy compression.  The software
is designed for print quality.  Since screen resolution is only 72 dpi, our
software has limited functionality for the web.  We are currently bundled with
the entire line of Coolpix cameras sold in the United States.  This is a Nikon
decision.

For users in other areas that are interested in our product, we have a demo they
can download from our web site at  http://www.altamira-group.com

The bundled version is an LE that scales to approximately 64MB.  Please let me
know if you have any additional questions."

Robert Kehl wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with using Genuine Fractals as a compression
> tool?
>
> How does it compare to TIF files with LWZ compression for 50mb image files?
>
> How lossy/lossless is it?
>
> Bob Kehl

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.