Re: filmscanners: VueScan 6.6 cleaning filters

Ed writes ...

> I'd rather not go into the details of what I did, but I was careful
not
> to violate any of ASF's patents.  In avoiding their patents, I was
able
> to come up with a much better way of doing infrared dust removal
> (what ASF calls ICE) and grain reduction (what ASF calls GEM).
> Both are combined in the "Options|Clean" option.
>
> The key insight came when I learned about Sigma filters.  I was
> amazed at how well the final algorithm worked.  I can probably
> tweak it some more, but it works quite well now.  ...

    I almost changed the subject line to "ICE4", but thought better

    In a response to a query, ASF implied their "ICE3" filter set was
subject to peculiarities of specific scanners.  Is this true of your
algorithms as well? When you imply "tweak", is it with respect to
scanners?  The "grain" characteristics of a variety of films and the
scanners which scanned them, might imply we could use some control ...
but then I remember your successes with the IR channel  :o)

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.