Re: filmscanners: VueScan 6.6 Available

In a message dated 1/31/2001 9:59:13 AM EST, bobkehl@kvernkehl.com writes:

> Please tell us more about the difference between your spot removal vs. ICE.
>
>  And what are you saying about reduction of film grain??!!  Now that you've
>  conquered Digital Ice's spot removal are you also improving on ASF's film
>  grain equalization ?

I'd rather not go into the details of what I did, but I was careful not
to violate any of ASF's patents.  In avoiding their patents, I was able
to come up with a much better way of doing infrared dust removal
(what ASF calls ICE) and grain reduction (what ASF calls GEM).
Both are combined in the "Options|Clean" option.

The key insight came when I learned about Sigma filters.  I was
amazed at how well the final algorithm worked.  I can probably
tweak it some more, but it works quite well now.  I'd recommend
using the "Clean" setting instead of "Scrub" or "Scour" since
it seems to work well and is quite fast.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.