Re: filmscanners: Negative and CD storage methods

Since the late 1980's, I have been buying archival storage materials from
Light Impressions, Rochester, New York.  Telephone 1­800­828­6216.

Web site:    www.lightimpressionsdirect.com

Their catalog is full of all sort of archival storage materials,
presentation archival materials, environmental control items, framing,
matting, etc. -- even UV filtering glass for framed photos & pictures.  I'm
looking at a catalog now -- a whole page of various CD storage items such as
what they call Safety Sleeve Pages, epecially designed to cushion the back
side of CDs where the data is written.  Archival storage boxes for CDs on
another page, etc.

Pigment ink pens are on another page; they come in various point sizes from
.20mm to .65mm in black or red.  Made under the trade name of ZIG, they are
acid free, light fast, waterproof, smear & fade proof, and odorless.  Or so
the copy says.  I've used them a lot to write on Mylar and other similar
sleeves, as well as on the margins of negatives -- they're very good!

There are archival binders in a variety of colors and styles.

I've probably spent several thousand dollars (including items bought for the
historical society for which I was Archivist for 5 1/2 years) at Light
Impressions and have been very satisfied.

Hart Corbett

----------
>From: Collin Ong <collin@pcocd2.intel.com>
>To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
>Subject: filmscanners: Negative and CD storage methods
>Date: Tue, Jan 30, 2001, 4:05 PM
>

> Since getting a filmscanner, I've become more conscious of the need to
> store, protect, and organize my negatives.  I've also begun generating
> alot of CD-R's that store the scans of these negatives.
>
> For the negatives, I've purchased negative sleeve pages from
> www.printfile.com which I like so far.  (Does anybody know of a good pen
> for labeling these?  Ink pens like Sharpies smear and ball points don't
> grip on the label area.)
>
> For the CD's, I started out using CD-R blanks that came with jewel cases,
> but as these started stacking up, I switched to CD-R blanks on spindle
> (Kodak Ultima Gold).  I'd like to stick these in sleeves rather than jewel
> cases to save space.
>
> I have yet to figure out a good filing system to store a CD along with the
> negatives.  I'm interested in hearing suggestions from the list on:
>
> 1) How they store/track CD-Rs, negatives, and sometimes index prints
>    together
> 2) Numbering systems for CD disc names and individual file names
> 3) Suggestions for sources and types of CD sleeves
>

> Thanks,
> Collin

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.