From: Photoscientia [mailto:photoscientia@photoscientia.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 3:45 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: Pigmented inks was Re: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000
real value?

>>>>>>snip!<<<<<<<

I recently bought one of their so-called 1200dpi flatbed scanners, which had
worse image sharpness than the cheap 600dpi Mustek that I had intended to
replace. The 1200dpi was simply 'empty resolution' containing no detail,
because they had obviously skimped on the optical system, and the image had
the
same appearance as 600dpi interpolated to 1200.

Another half-arsed Epson design job, which in my view was again falsely
advertised.

The box clearly stated 'true 1200 dpi optical resolution', and this was
plainly
nonsense, since the lens couldn't actually resolve anything near that. I
tested
it with a resolution test plate, and it struggled to about 600dpi. Contrary
popular belief, this isn't due to the glass in the way. Removing the glass
platen gave the same result. It just has a poor lens.

I see Canon will be pouring millions into R&D on their printer range over
the
next few years.
Good luck to them!

Regards,     Pete.