filmscanners: Avoiding Posterization

I've been scanning b&w negs in Vuescan, basically using the default
settings, and every so often I get a little posterization in the dark areas
of negs with a really extreme range of lights and darks.  What is the best
way to avoid this?  Increase image brightness (eg., from 1 to 1.2)?  Raise
the black point  (BTW, how does one do this?  Change it from 0 to -.01 for
example)?  Adjust the media settings?  Anyone have a preferred method?
Perhaps it's not a problem; is it ok to have some 0 values in an image?  I'm
experimenting, but an experienced opinion would be very helpful.

STEPHEN    JENNINGS
    P h o t o g r a p h e r
       Cambridge, MA
sgjennin@ix.netcom.com