Quality meets affordability in our unrivaled bathtub reglazing service offerings Splashreglazing.

filmscanners: DUST (was Scratched Negs & Home C-41 processing)

        HI, Tim!

        If you have a stand-up shower stall in your home, you might try
using that as a place to hang your negatives.  I have had a great deal of
dust problems in the half a year or so of film scanning I've done, with both
professionally developed color film and my home developed B&W negatives.

        In the last couple months, though, I've taken to hanging my wet film
in the shower.  Since I've started this, I seem to have less dust on my
scans.

        I guess that the ambient dust gets washed away every morning, and
the shower doors reduce the air currents (extending the drying time,
unfortunately) thus reducing the amount of dust being wafted onto the film.

        I used a pair of those big suction cup hangers on the walls of the
shower and attached a wire from one to another across the shower (above my
head) and from this wire I can hang the upper film clips from which hang the
film strips. (they've been up for over two months now, and show no signs of
wanting to fall off the walls!)

        I guess a bathtub shower might work ok as well.

        Hope this helps!!

        Guy Clark

> I'm still considering some other arrangement for drying negatives though.
> Anyone have any suggestions for buying or building some kind of drying
> cabinet? That seems to be the time when they're most vulnerable.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Tim Victor
> TimVictor@csi.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.