From: "LAURIE SOLOMON" <LAURIE@AD
VANCENET.NET>

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:23:29
To: <l
ists@lazygranch.com>
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Advice
on scanner settings

>I'd like to point out that I neve
r had a Seagate product fail. Of
>course, that could be
luck. They come with 5 year warranties.

I have had a c
ouple of them go bad; but I have had a number of brands g
bad.  Hard drives after all are mechanical devices; an
d their internal parts
do wear out, do get damaged, and
do get overheated. Some brands go bad
sooner than others
 even if they have extended long warrantees.  When they d
it is a pain to send them back for warrantee service a
nd to lose the data on
them.

>The offsite service is
handy in the event of fire or theft.

Yes, except if th
ey go out of business or have security issues, which are

distinct possibilities in this day and age.  Like so man
y others, I have
found that many services offer good rat
es and terms, good service and
security, and the like wh
en they are new and trying to establish themselves
and a
 client base.  However after the introductory offer or pe
riod, things
change with pricing going up, terms changin
g, service and security
declining, etc.  By then, you ca
n terminate your service or move to a
different online s
torage operation if things change to your disliking; but

they count on the inconvenience factor and inertia to ke
ep you even if
things change for the worst.  Most people
 overstay their welcome due to the
inconvenience of movi
ng their data from those storage facilities to new ones
or purchasing additional drives to store the data on at h
ome or at an
external location like a bank vault.

-