[filmscanners] Re: SS4000 & SCSI under Vista

Sure, It seems to have trouble on the last image if you start with frame
1. By the time it gets to the end, the thing can't grip the film holder.
So I got in the habit of scanning in Hebrew (so to speak).

That said, the Minolta 5400II is so much better than the Artixscan that
I don't feel all that bad about it sitting and gathering dust. I had the
Artixscan fixed once by the factory. It refused to grip the holder at
all. They upgraded the firmware when they fixed the mechanical issue. I
thought the price was fair, especially after hearing the horror stories
about expensive Nikon repairs.

That said, I get 12 bits on the 5400II and IR for dust/scratch removal.
The film holder on the Minolta works well enough that I don't bother to
mount slides anymore. The Artixscan film holder was just a PITA that I
had to have the slides mounted.

I really don't want to sell it. It not worth that much, and I may need a
spare scanner some day since the Minolta will be really hard to repair
since they left the business. It's really a shame Minolta pulled the
plug on the business. The 5400II was about half the price I paid for the
4000t and it's an order of magnitude better. At this point, if anyone
wanted a scanner, they would probably have to fork out for a Nikon. Then
  again, I'll be going digital eventually. I've been eyeing those used
EOS-1DS Mark II now that the Mark III is out.