[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

I don't disagree with much that you stated.   A good deal of the extra
file size in a scanned silver halide image is just grain artifacts, and
offers no image information.  However, if the same processing that is
done to digital images in camera were done to the film image, a lot of
the grain could be suppressed.

The same thing that makes some of the perceptual problems from digital
output (the grid pattern) also allows for some fancy processing that can
nearly eliminate visible pixels.  For instance soft gradient areas
really shine, like expanses of sky.  The same area in film looks like a
dish of pond water under a microscope. However, that is the same process
the somewhat diminishes apparent resolution in more complex detailed areas.

But this just shows the fact that there is a considerable subjective
aspect to evaluating the results that technical equipment can't
"prove".  Each of us sees random and matrix patterns differently, and
the subject matter also alters how we respond to those artifacts.

Art