[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

Yes, Astia 100F is very good.  In fact, a lot of the current 100 speed
color slide films are very good and competitive.  Velvia 100F is also
very good and very fine grained.  I use it in 120 size and scanned at
4000dpi on the Nikon 8000, grain is almost invisible.  Kodak, meanwhile,
has not been sleeping, their E100G and E100GX slide film are as good, if
not better, and I prefer it to the current Provia.   But most of this is
with 120 film these days.  (and no, there is no DSLR that comes close to
the quality of this 120 film scanned output).   35mm film has been
mostly replaced (except in specific circumstances) by the 5D.  I still
use a 35mm film compact from time to time.  I have yet to find ANY
digital compact that matches the output from my little Ricoh GR1s (and
that most certainly includes the Ricoh GR-Digital).