[filmscanners] RE: film and scanning vs digital photography

I agree: I've had a D70 for a couple of years, and now a D200.  Most
photos are ultimately compromised by something other than absolute
(film/pixel) resolution, in my experience (perhaps I'm a lousy
photographer?).  For instance, depth of field, motion/shake, v. slight
auto-focus error etc. etc.

Previous to "going digital" I had an OM10 followed by a couple of
Minolta SLR's. I was somewhat shocked when I tried scanning some old
negs to find there was little or no improvement gained by scanning above
the default resolution set on the Minolta Dimage 5400 (1350dpi). This is
roughly equivalent to 2Mp. Perhaps this is down to using "ordinary"
film, but I'd say that a good 3 megapixel camera will give similar or
better results to those I used to obtain from analogue.

John Sykes