[filmscanners] CRT and flat panel thoughts

CCFT = Cold Cathode Flourescent Tube.
Basically use a long (width of display) flourescent tube (or 2, one at top
and one at bottom) and then use a funky shaped piece of plastic to
distribute the light across the full area of the display.  A long and wide
"light pipe".

As for TV and computer at the same time, I'm just a rank amateur
(www.leopoldbratislav.pointclark.net/gallery/).  I have a no name wintel
computer with 2 video cards.   I have a 19 inch LCD connected to the primary
card and a 17 inch connected to the secondary card.  Any application can
drag/drop onto either display except for the TV tuner that is on the primary
card.  Thus, I can watch TV on the 19 inch while working on the other. Or
using GIMP, simply have the menus on one screen while looking at the image
on the other.  I'm quite pleased with the  TV on the 19 LCD.   When I move
to my new apartment in a few weeks, it will be my only TV, perfectly
suitable for me and my 10 YO son.  In a couple of months, I'll purchase a
projector and connect it as well.  For day to day checking news, weather,
local stuff, commodity TV, the 19 inch should be fine.  For special shows,
flip the switch to the projector and watch it on the wall (I will  have a
screen on the wall).
The projector will be ceiling mounted (I don't want to sacrifice floor space
- I'm moving from a 2.5 story house to a 2 BR apartment - stories later...).
Oh yes, I'll also replace the 17 inch CRT with another 19 inch LCD.

Plus, I can time shift TV shows (ie, in Toronto I get the Daily Show at
midnight - I'd rather watch it the next day at an earlier time.

One note - I hate the ATI software.  It is obtuse, user hostile, flaky and
difficult to update.   I intend to try one of the other software
alternatives soon and will provide feedback.

Paul S. Nielsen
Toronto, Canada