[filmscanners] Re: Flatbed for prints only

On 16/12/2005 rkoziol3@comcast.net wrote:
> I was hoping to find a flatbad for around $100.
> Format no bigger than std 8.5x11 or A4 (or close to it).

I use a crummy, cheap Canon Lide 50. Originally bought for messing about
with Profile Prism. Its LED lightsource is relatively un-metameric
compared to other types, with inkjet inks.

It blows the socks off the c.1997-8-9 Umax Powerlook II I use solely for
making contact sheets from 35mm (it has a 10x8" film hood, and can take
the glass bit of a Paterson contact frame). The Canon was around 60GBP
/~$100USD, but I bet they're cheaper there. The Umax once retailed at
around 2000GBP but now go for 70GBP on eBay.

I'd be surprised if you needed anything better : colour accuracy, speed,
ease of use, shadow noise, optical sharpness and resolution are just
absurdly good for the price. Being picky, it loses just a tiny bit of
shadow detail. It's barely larger than A4 and 30mm thick. The Umax is a
huge slab, 25x the volume. Both work with Vuescan.

Tony Sleep