[filmscanners] Re: Flatbed for prints only

I think what has happened is that as the resolution that flatbed
scanners were able to offer at reasonable prices increased, it became
very possible to offer film scanning, especially small and medium format
films.  At 2400 dpi and above, these scanner are able to provide the
"mechanical resolution" that dedicated film scanners did.  Of course,
they usually could not deliver the same resolution as a film scanner of
similar mechanical resolution, but for many it provided a convenient and
relatively inexpensive way to scan smaller format films.

Since that option allows for film scanning to be integrated into a
flatbed, most manufacturers provide it.  Scanner prices overall have
come down considerably over the years, and now that the demand has
lessened, many have left the marketplace.

I haven't been following the market much these days, but I would guess
sticking with one of the major scanner manufacturers such as Epson, is
probably a good idea. UMAX made some good scanners years ago, but I
don't know that they have kept up with the technology.  Microtek is yet
another company that was fairly active in the flat bed market and may
still have some good models out there.

Art