[filmscanners] RE: HP PhotsSmart - questions

I am unfamiliar with the scanner.  I assumed that since you said it scanned
prints it was a flatbed type of scanner.  I do understand your concerns and
reservations.  You might be able to get a repair diagram or other schema of
the unit from HP that will tell you how to take the unit apart and where the
parts are and go.

> I do not want to waste much
> time doing test scans, if the optics are fuzzy from several
> years of oil film.

Of course, you will not know if the optics are dirty or not unless you take
the unit apart and take a look.  I am going to assume that the optics are
not coated with any sort of film or oil so as to diffuse the scan or the
results would be noticeable at all resolutions; I also assume that there is
not dust on the mirror or optics or that would be obvious on all scans at
all resolutions.