[filmscanners] HP PhotsSmart - questions

Hi,

Been reading the posts here for quite some time.  Just got into
scanning.  In fact the recent thread on Cheap Film Scanners woke me
up :-)  I have one that's at the bottom of that heap.  It's HP
PhotoSmart vintage 1997.  SCSI interface, which makes it S10 I guess.

I'm using the current version of HP software from their Support site.
Did a calibrate with a white piece of paper (the card is gone). The
scanner was donated by a friend.

Now the question.  I started with a simple color print (3x5) scan and
noticed that setting it to 150dpi gives a "sharper" result than
300dpi.

Can that be explained in any way?  Saved as bmp and jpg, same
results.

Secondly, should I take the scanner apart and attempt to clean any
optical components?  I'm quite handy with small tools :-)  After
sitting for so many years and some usage by the previous owner, it
must have some film whatever the optical pickup is.

Regards,

Rich Koziol