[filmscanners] Re: 'Cheap' film scanner recommendations

I will try to respond to both your postings together.

Kodachrome dyes, and particularly the older dyes from the '50 and '60s
tended to have a IR absorption which makes dICE unworkable.  These
images will tend to have a washed out/milky or halo like out of focus.
The way to test is to try scanning with dICE and without and see of you
can see a difference in the clarity.  Of course, the non-dICE image will
have a lot more dust/dirt/scratches, etc.

You may be able to "tame" some of these issue by using one of two free
programs, one is by Polaroid, and is a dust filter, the other is someone
elses attempt which on some images will do a better job called "Dust
Buster"  Last time I checked both were free but you'll need to track
them down.

To your second posting:

Kodachrome film has wonderful dark keeping abilities, meaning it fades
very slowly if kept in the dark.  On the other hand Kodachrome dyes are
vulnerable to bright lights from projectors (here Ektachrome did
better).  Unless you Dad's images were being projected quite a bit, they
probably didn't fade as much as were taken at wrong exposure and were
overexposed, which is death for a slide, since once gone it's gone.

Somewhat underexposed slides can usually be coaxed out with your
scanner, but may be noisy in shadows.  Greatly underexposed images may
need a brighter light source. To project the image only use a non
textured surface, and this is where a good digital camera may come in.
As far as surface to project onto, a clean white non textured surface
which is matte surfaced is probably best.  Another approach is using a
slide copier attachment (super macro lens and slide adapter) on a
digital camera while using a bright light source to illuminate the
slide.  Then you will start with a digital file rather than needing to
translate once again through film or a scanner.

Art